|Title||William Arrol and Peter Lind: demolition, construction and workmanship on London’s Waterloo Bridges 1934 -1946|
By 1924, when William Arrol and Co. constructed a temporary crossing, Rennie’s Waterloo Bridge was ‘marred by a broken back … and had passed from utility to obstruction.’ Arrol was tasked with demolition of the old bridge in 1934, the process revealing perfectly cut and tapered arch-stones and faultless construction of the piers. The new bridge, engineered by Rendel, Palmer and Tritton, designed in collaboration with Giles Gilbert Scott and in association with London County Council engineers was built by contractor Peter Lind. The result was a modern, functional addition to London’s river crossings. However it was a complicated structure and required a large amount of temporary works including gantries, steel bridges, timber piles and platforms. The design also required innovative welding techniques leading to labour disputes with the steel-fixers. The construction process was delayed by four strikes in 1938 and 1939. Labour shortages because of war resulted in a diminished workforce while working conditions were very harsh with severe winters in 1938 and ‘39 and bomb raids throughout 1940 and ‘41.
|Conference||6th International Congress on Construction History|
|Accepted author manuscript|